Today in my boys’ Mandarin class, the teacher introduced the concepts of heavy and light. My two year old understands this concept but has lately become obsessed with putting things on our scale and weighing them. So I am going with it.
- Weigh various objects on scale and place in “heavy” or “light” basket. We just grabbed things from our bathroom cabinet. You can easily make it seasonal with leaves and gourds.
- Drop various objects of extreme (e.g. a feather and a rock) from our porch and determine whether “heavy” or “light”
- Color “light” and “heavy” lines using dark and light crayons, markers vs pencils, etc
- Take “light” and “heavy” steps – my son loved this activity. You can integrate a “stop” and “go” into the activity, too.
- In Seattle, weather is always easy to talk about – so today it was “light” and “heavy” rain (drizzle & sprinkle vs. downpour)
- Sesame Street Videos has a few short videos on this topic:
Have fun! Thanks for visiting!