Our adventure in Garden Camp continues this week. We are enjoying every minute of getting our hands dirty, exploring the garden and learning a ton about our earth! Here is one sweet activity we did earlier this week: creating a newspaper planter! Thank you Seattle Tilth and your amazing Children’s Gardening Camp for the ideas and inspiration.
Check out my Nature Activities Math Pack!
Newspaper Planter Activity
Newspaper Planter Materials:
- 12 ounce water bottle
- Soil and small container to put the soil
- Small shovel
Newspaper Planter Approach:
- Lay the newspaper down on the ground or table
- Fold & wrap it around about 2/3 of the bottle
- Tape & slide the bottle out
- Fill the newspaper pot with soil
- Make a small hole with the tip of your finger & plant a seed in the pot
- Find a nice sunny spot in your yard with your child
- Dig a little hole with hands or a small shovel
- Poke a hole or two in or remove the bottom of the pot
- Place the Newspaper Pot in the hole and cover with soil
- Wait for your seeds to sprout
We planted our newspaper pot yesterday with beans that will grow quite tall and will be a lot of fun for our boys to watch as they sprout!
Thank you for choosing to read this post today.