This pre-reading Montessori language activity involves simple nomenclature cards. The work can be done with image to image with label or image with label to image and the to label. I will show images of both approaches. Be sure to check out other Montessori Language Lessons.
The above image shows image with label to image then to label.
The above image shows image to image then label.
Simple Nomenclature Cards
- Place pictures (with labels) in a horizontal row at the top of the mat.
- Discuss the cards, the images, and the names.
- Select cards with picture only.
- With the picture only card, scan the pictures with labels until a match is found.
- Select word labels.
- Scan pictures with labels until a match is found
- Place word under picture.
- Once complete, place pictures with labels in tray, then pictures only in tray, then word labels in tray.
- Return to shelf.
Montessori Pre-Reading lessons introduce children to the basics of reading and writing: left to right, logic, and so on. The beginnings of reading comprehension happen at this stage. Kids learn problem solving and logical sequencing. They learn how to tell stories and why story telling matters.