I bought two separate freezer trays based on reviews.Â The other shall remain nameless. The very reasonably priced, perfect for baby food Tovolo (click on last product listed) won my heart. Tovolo just so happens to hail from Seattle too much to my surprise.Â I fully expected the headquarters to be in Germany.
As I set out to make LM’s babyfood I knew that there would be days that I make a bit more than he can handle in one 3 day period. Let’s be honest with ourselves, we all have a lot going on and as wonderful as the idea might be making fresh baby food every single day for the wee one may not be realistic.
First of all for all the basics of freezing homemade baby food visit Wholesome Baby Food’s website. This site does a fabulous job outlining the do’s and don’tsÂ of freezing.Â In a nutshell, 72 hours in the fridge and 3 months in the freezer.
Tovolo “Perfect Cube Silicone Ice Cube Tray” was exactly what I was looking for in a tray.Â (They come in blue, red, pink and green, which adds to the fun, and in sets of two.)Â Once I make a puree and store what I need for the next few days in the fridge, I fill the tray. I wait for the puree to cool before I cover with plastic wrap.Â Then I place into the freezer.Â Once the cubes are frozen, I pop them out and store the cubes in a freezer bag. I love freezing in cubes because it enables me to give a little variety to the little bugger.Â So I can give him 2 cubes of chicken puree and then 2 cubes of broccoli puree (or whatever the combination).Â Keeps things interesting and covers a wider array of health needs. Keep in mind that 1 cube = 1 ounce and 4 ounces = average serving size.
What I LOVE:
- Neat – cubes pop out easily and trays store well in cabinet or in freezer if that be the case
- Environmentally Friendly – silicone is great for food storage, very low on the toxin scale and non-BPA. Also silicone won’t break down.
- Super easy to clean by hand or pop them in the dishwasher
What I DON’T love so much:
I have to think hard about what I don’t like about these trays.Â Honestly I can only come up with one.
- Longer to freeze – It seems as though it takes longer to freeze food than other trays.Â I’m not sure why that would be, perhaps the silicone.
The two biggest complaints from consumers are 1) smell and 2) difficult extraction process.
- Some people have complained the tray smells of the food that has been frozen in it. I have not encountered this problem most likely because once the food is frozen I pop the cubes out into a freezer bag and clean up the tray.
- Some people claim that the cubes are difficult to remove from the tray.Â I can see their point BUT I let the tray sit out for a bit to warm and then extract the cubes.Â Otherwise turn the tray over and run warm/hot water on the bottom of the tray. That should do the trick.
Overall rating on a scale of 1 to 10 = 9
Perfect for = Busy parents who want to make homemade food for the week/month, those people who donâ€™t like a lot of clean up, looking for toxin free products
Not Perfect for = ??Â I don’t want to be mean.
I did wholeheartedly try one other brand and really disliked the product. If you’re interested in more detail on that front, please contact me.
Founder, Carrots Are Orange
Building and Creating Healthy Habits Early
Want more review or to purchase?Â Click on the Tovolo product image when you visit the GEAR section of this website.
Read more reviews here.