You know that kid who loves to paint his body? Loves to roll in the mud? Loves to create with the tactile sense? That kid is my six year old son. He is a sensory seeker and can't get enough of hands on process art projects.
Van Gogh Art Activity
Recently we read a biography about Vincent Van Gogh. The book is called Vincent Van Gogh (Getting to Know the World's Greatest Artists). I highly recommend the whole Getting to Know the World's Greatest Artists Series.
After reading the biography and consulting our trust Usborne Art Treasury (see this post on reading for more information on that book), we had our project. A Vincent Van Gogh project is a dream come true for learning.
Learning Points for Van Gogh Art Activity
- Holland as a geographic point
- Color Mixing (his use of vibrant primary and secondary colors)
- Textures (his use of thick paints)
- Patterns (in nature such as is swirling – as a side note I highly recommend the book Swirl by Swirl: Spirals in Nature)
Van Gogh Art Activity – Materials
- Thick Paper
- Paint brush or two
- Acrylic paint
Van Gogh Art Activity – Approach
- Sketch a landscape
- Mix paint with glue to thicken
- Paint sky
- Use fork to create thick textures
- Paint grass and horizon
- Use end of paint brush to make spirals in tree tops
- Allow time to dry
The results are always fun and beautiful. Don't get stuck on particular colors or design. Let your child be creative and be his own artist. That point is the important part of any art activity.
We have a gift for you.
First Time Buyers Get 20% Off My Montessori Printables Shop.