Have you ever spent a day in bitter city?
You are not alone, friend.
Recently, I had a wonderful conversation with Shawk Fink, also known as the “Yoda of Mamas”, on my Distilled Parenting podcast. We discussed the raw emotion behind being a parent, being present, and being honest with yourself. We also discuss self care, ways to find your way back to a healthy, happy place, and that families comes in all shapes and sizes. There is no one right way to “slow down” and embrace life.
Shawn offers inspiration and wisdom to parents all over the world through her Abundant Mama Project. Below are a few of the highlights from our conversation. If you prefer to listen to our conversation, check out Distilled Parenting on iTunes, subscribe, and leave review if you like what you hear! This podcast is loaded with helpful tidbits and messages for all parents.
“It's those ridiculous expectations we put on ourselves that make us think we can't do it, but we can. We can do it.”
~ Shawn Fink, The Abundant Mama Project
How to Be an Abundant Mama
- It is okay to admit that you're struggling as a parent.
- A struggling mom is not a new necessarily a new mom, or a well seasoned mom.
- It is okay to do things for your child. Say, “I like doing things for you. I enjoy helping you.”
- Not every moment has to be a teaching moment. Sometimes you just have to be a mom.
- Sometimes you have to make a drastic change to get to where you want or need to be.
- Transformation, or finding your way to happiness, is a process. Be patient.
- Community packs a big punch.
- Having a routine is key. Make it something in the morning, or at bedtime. Write. Drink tea. Meditate.
- Living a slow life is relative depending on who you are and how you're living your life.
- Living a slow life often requires changing behavior and an acceptance of imperfection.
Subscribe to Shawn's newsletter to received her wonderful eBook: 10 Habits of a Highly Effective Mama.
Listen to the Distilled Parenting podcast here:
Abundant Mama Show Links
- Shawn's book Savoring Slow
- The Abundant Mama website
- The Abundant Mama Facebook page
- Shawn's Abundant Mama eCourse
- Carrots Are Orange
- Carrots Are Orange Facebook page
- Shawn's Amplify Your Life podcast
- No Mud, No Lutus: The Art of Transforming Suffering
- Headspace meditation app
- Calm meditation app
- Simply Being Meditation App
- Karen Mazen Miller
- Conscious Parent
- Becoming Minimalist
- Be More with Less blog
- Edit Your Life podcast
- Let Why Lead blog
- How to Talk So Kids Will Listen