The following post includes bear activities for preschoolers.
My Montessori instructors emphasized the importance and effectiveness of taking a topic, whatever it may be, across all areas of the classroom. I always found this approach challenging but extremely worthwhile as I saw it play out in the classroom. I hope to share with you some of my ideas, some borrowed (of which I will source) and some original ideas. I hope you find inspiration in these Unit posts. The following post includes bear activities for preschoolers.
Check out the bear cubs playing in my backyard!
Bear Activities for Kids
Bear Themed Math Activities
- Bear Counters can be used as matching with Safari's Mini Black Bears, or gems, or even clothespins
- Bears in a Den is a simple Numeration work. I used this printable of a REAL bear den to use with Safari's Mini Black Bears. You can have the child roll dice, or write a number on the card for the child to match.
Bear Themed Sensorial Activities
- Tactile work can include the children creating their fur covered “b” or “bear” cut out. Or have various furs for the children to explore with their hands.
- Bear patterning with Baby Bear Counters that we all know and love so well. Create your own cards or use Learning Resources Bear Pattern Cards.
- Circle bear craft
- Silhouette Matching using this bear silhouette printable
Bear Themed Practical Life Activities
- Bear Matching with Clothespins is great for fine motor skills but also pre-sensorial and pre-math. I prepared clothespins with small amounts of various types of (craft) fur to loosely match the fur of the bears in our unit. Then I printed out images of bears with various numbers on the cards. The object is to match the clothespins to the cards with the matching number.
- I made a few Bear Lacing Cards using the Ursa Major and Ursa Minor Constellations. Really easy. I printed out a “dot to dot” of the constellation, laminated it, then circle hole punched the card for the lace.
- Bear Pin Poke
- Bear Tracks with Playdough is a great shelf work. Kids love it. We used Safari ‘s Large North American Black Bear.
- Tonging with Safari's Minis Black Bears
- Sorting with Safari's Minis Black Bears and Safari's Mini Polar Bears.
Bear Themed Language Activities
- We looked at Types of Bears using this 3 part card Types of Bears printable
- Children's Books about Bears
- Where in the world do bears live? I created this Bear Geography template available in my TeachersPayTeachers store to match a species of bear to their home in our world. Grab a globe and make the work a bit more hands on. Talk about the habitat and how bears might live differently in different parts of the world.
- Hibernating Bear Activity from Teach Preschool
- Animals in Winter Round-Up of Activities
- See these Hibernation facts for more information
- Balancing Bears using a simple balance scale, or hanging with bears tied on each end to find a balance
- I plan to focus a bit on what happens to the body during hibernation. I found many excellent hibernation facts online. We'll also measure our pulse sitting and then running. I have this beautiful print of the human heart that we'll closely examine and discover.
- Animals in Winter Science Experiment