Today in my boys’ Mandarin class, the teacher introduced the concepts of heavy and light. My two-year-old understands this concept but has lately become obsessed with putting things on our scale and weighing them. So I am going with it. This post contains activity ideas for exploring heavy and light.
Heavy and Light Activities
- Weigh various objects on scale and place in “heavy” or “light” basket. We just grabbed things from our bathroom cabinet. You can easily make it seasonal with leaves and gourds.
- Drop various objects of extreme (e.g. a feather and a rock) from our porch and determine whether “heavy” or “light”
- Color “light” and “heavy” lines using dark and light crayons, markers vs pencils, etc
- Take “light” and “heavy” steps – my son loved this activity. You can integrate a “stop” and “go” into the activity, too.
- In Seattle, weather is always easy to talk about – so today it was “light” and “heavy” rain (drizzle & sprinkle vs. downpour)
Have fun! Thanks for visiting!