Introduction to Numerals of the Decimal System is a Montessori Math Early Childhood lesson. This lesson is straightforward. The goal of this lesson is to introduce the numerals of the decimal system. We’ve moved from the Overview to Quantity and now onto numerals.
There are two new pieces within this Montessori math lesson, however. The child is introduced to the Montessori color coding of the numerals and is introduced to zero as a placeholder.
Introduction to Numerals of the Decimal System
“This is one. This is how we write one. This is ten. This is how we write ten.” Continue with 3 Period Lesson.
Introduce the hundred and the thousand in the same manner.
Show the child the magic trick.
Introduction to Numerals of the Decimal System Variations
- “What is missing?” game
- Turn cards over. Ask the child to identify the numerals from the size of the card.
- Place cards randomly. Ask the child to order first by looking, then by touching only.
Introduction to Numerals of the Decimal System Extensions
- The child makes his own set of cards
- The child colors in numerals
- The child creates her own version of the presentation tray
Introduction to Numerals of the Decimal System Resources
- Place Value Cards from Montessori Printshop
- DIY Golden Bead Presentation Tray
- Youtube video Presentation Tray lesson
- Montessori Golden Beads from Amazon
- Montessori Introduction to Decimal Quantity with Tray