I recently began as “reading parent” in my sons Montessori elementary classroom. No big deal, right? WRONG. As I asserted my adult self in attempting to mold young minds, I realized I had no idea what I was doing. I didn't know what questions ask these budding brains. So, I went in search for answers to help me, to help all of us.
Reading Skills Matter
Watching elementary aged children dive into reading excites any teacher or parent. Some children's reading skills seem natural. Storytelling draws them in and drives them to want more. The passion is alive and well. Other children need a bit more guidance with developing reading skills and hooking them onto reading. No matter the types of new reader or the level of reading skills, the adult plays a critical role in helping the child leap (or crawl if that is the case) to the next level. I've done a bit of digging to come up with ideas on questions to ask and topics to consider.
Improve Reading Skills by Asking these Questions
- What do you think will happen next?
- If you were the main character what would you do?
- If you could pick any ending, what would it be?
- Would you change any part of the story?
- Where is the story taking place?
- Name the scenes in which the story happens?
- Are there happy characters? sad? mad? How can you tell they feel this way?
- Describe what happened when…
- Explain why…
“Take it a Step Further”
- If you were to write the next chapter/book, what would it be about?
- Can you give another example of…?
- Why do you think this part of the story is important?
- What are the similarities between…
- What are the differences between…and…
Work Problem Solving, Analytical & Critical Thinking Reading Skills
- Why do you think the author chose that scene?
- What is it about the main character that makes him the hero? the villain?
- Why did…happen when…happened?
Play with the Ending & Critical Points of the Story
- How would you finish the story?
- If you could choose a different ending, what would it be?
Bring the Parts of the Story Together
- What would happen if…?
- What was the problem at the start of the story?
- How did the characters solve the problem?
Review & Analyze the Story's Plot & Main Characters
- Do you agree that…?
- Why do you think that the characters solved the problem in that way?
- Would you have solved the problem differently?
Have you checked out the book Raising a Rock Star Reader? I highly recommend it as a go to book for encouraging reading and learning simple ways to create a literacy rich environment.
Gain Access to Dozens of Printables!
Beautiful & engaging downloadable Montessori materials at your fingertips when you subscribe to the CAO newsletter.
You will receive an email with access information once you subscribe.