This week I am working on Seasons Work for Preschoolers to help my boys learn the concept of the passage of time. The bigger part of the project I’ll have to share with you later once I’m closer to being done with it. In the meantime, I’ll share my seasons cards with you.
I wanted it to be personal so I chose images from my own family album.
Seasons Work for Preschoolers
- Images of seasons
- Card Stock of four different colors matching the seasons (e.g. yellow, blue, green and brown)
- Paper Cutter or Craft Scissors
- Laminator (always recommended for safe keeping)
- Laminating Pouches
- Glue Sticks
What to do:
- Read The Year Comes Round: Haiku through the Seasons
- Print your images (I had mine printed through Snapfish but you can certainly use a printer)
- Cut your card stock to leave a half and inch or so of space outside the image. I highly recommend using a paper cutter over scissors because it is easier to get a straight and clean cut. I recommend cutting all the card stock pieces you need before you move onto the next step of gluing the images. It’ll be easier to keep the cards uniform in size that way.
- Glue your images onto the card stock matching that seasons colored card stock (e.g. yellow = summer). Trim card stock if necessary.
- Position your cards in a laminating pouch so that you have enough of an edge to keep the card sealed in nicely
- Put through the laminator
- Press the edge of the cards to seal the cards in well
- Use a paper cutter to trim the cards leaving enough space on the outside of the card stock to keep a good seal. Use your first card as the template and cut the rest to match its size to keep uniformity
When the child is ready, present the cards to him, or present at a circle. I presented to my sons outside of the larger seasons project. We talked about each card and what time of year the scene may take place. Thesecards are used as a simple sorting and language exercise.
I look forward to presenting the remainder of the work over the next few weeks. We’re going to add in moon phases, months and other lovely seasonal work.
Have fun! Please leave a comment! I love hearing from you!
Get Your Dose of Montessori Goodness
Directly & Seamlessly Delivered to You. Let me do all the work.