Montessori Practical Life Basting Activity
- Remove tray from shelf. Apron procedure.
- Identify items on tray. “This is a sponge.”
- “This is a glass with water. This glass is empty. This is a baster.”
- Using 3-finger grip, demonstrate squeezing bulb. (Two fists if necessary.) Place back on tray and offer the child a chance to squeeze the bulb.
- Place baster in water, squeeze and release bulb slowly, tracing water as it fills the neck.
- Transfer baster to empty bowl. Squeeze bulb slowly to release water into empty glass. Repeat procedure, moving water back to glass on left.
Montessori Practical Life Basting Activity Variations & Extensions
- Color Mixing
- Using a smaller dropper (medicine dropper) to continue to fine tune fine motor skills
- Using a variety of colors to hook the child and keep the basting activity intriguing for the child
- Using different liquids changing the density is always a winner with kids
- Using a baster with measurements to introduce math & science concepts
Useful Materials for Basting Lesson
- Dropper Activity Set from Montessori Services is a one stop reasonably priced shop for getting the basting activity in your home or classroom quickly and easily
- Baster with Rubber Bulb