Montessori Practical Life Basting Activity
- Remove tray from the shelf. Apron procedure.
- Identify items on the tray. “This is a sponge.”
- “This is a glass with water. This glass is empty. This is a baster.”
- Using 3-finger grip, demonstrate squeezing bulb. (Two fists if necessary.) Place back on the tray and offer the child a chance to squeeze the bulb.
- Place baster in water, squeeze and release bulb slowly, tracing water as it fills the neck.
- Transfer baster to an empty bowl. Squeeze bulb slowly to release water into an empty glass. Repeat procedure, moving water back to the glass on left.
Montessori Practical Life Basting Activity Variations & Extensions
- Color Mixing
- Using a smaller dropper (medicine dropper) to continue to fine tune fine motor skills
- Using a variety of colors to hook the child and keep the basting activity intriguing for the child
- Using different liquids changing the density is always a winner with kids
- Using a baster with measurements to introduce math & science concepts
Useful Materials for Basting Lesson
- Dropper Activity Set from Montessori Services is a one-stop reasonably priced shop for getting the basting activity in your home or classroom quickly and easily
- Baster with Rubber Bulb