Most kids enjoy torn paper art projects because of the sensory aspect of it. The sound of the tearing paper and the smashing of the glue onto the board. This torn paper collage is a fun art project for kids at any point during the year!
We loved this Earth Day art project for a few reasons. The materials are easy to use, inexpensive to purchase, gets us a little sticky, and involves sensory, practical life and artwork. Plus the project keeps children busy giving us adults an opportunity to speak about the importance of our relationship with the earth. A really great book to begin this project is called Brother Eagle, Sister Sky. For additional book ideas, check out this list of Earth Day Books.
Earth Day Art Materials
- Search for a printable Earth outline and print out
- Green & blue construction paper (we only used a half piece of each)
- Glue stick
- Card stock for background (optional)
Earth Day Art Approach
- Once you have your materials out, introduce the project: “Today we're going to make earth!”
- Invite the children to tear up the green and blue construction paper
- Take out your glue stick and rub freely and liberally over the earth outline
- Apply your torn paper with green on the land and blue on the water (allow the kids to be creative and apply the paper as they desire).
- Take the glue stick and rub over the torn paper to create a paste covering. Use fingers to rub into the paper.
- Allow time to dry
- Cut out earth outline, paste onto card stock & display
For additional Process Art & Earth Day ideas, see:
- Montessori Art for Continent Studies
- Quick & Easy Art Activity for Preschoolers
- Simple, Beautiful Invitation to Create
- Creating an Art Space at Home & Classroom
- Easy Fourth of July Art Activities for Kids
- Earth Day Art Activity for Kids & the Home
- Earth Day Activity for Kids
- Simple Earth Day Craft
- 20 Earth Day Activities for Kids
- Unique Ways to Celebrate Earth Day
- Earth Day Art Activity for Kids
- Earth Day Gifts for Children
I hope you enjoyed this post! Let me know how the project goes for you!