This Montessori Grace and Courtesy lesson is one of my favorite Montessori practical life lessons. The activity promotes such wonders like self regulation, balance, gross motor skills, calmness and grace. Plus it is a snap to integrate into your classroom or home.
Materials for Walk the Line
Affiliate links are included to comparable items.
All you need is tape to create the “line”, plus a basket with fun objects to create variations of Walking on the Line like:
- A bell
- A cup for water
- Beads in a small dish
- A bead and a small spoon
- Bean bag for balancing on a child's head
How to Create the Line
I love this description from Info Montessori of how to create the line: “The “line” used during this exercise is a continuous and permanent shape in the environment. With its two straight lines and two lightly curved sides, an ellipse is what most environments have found to be the most suitable for this lesson.”
Montessori Grace and Courtesy Walk the Line Lesson
- Ideally, the child walks on the line without shoes.
- The width of the line should actually be a bit wider than a child's shoe. I have never seen a line that wide, so don't worry too much about that detail.
- The line should be in plain view and should not have the children walking through or around any obstacles in the room.
- Playing lovely classical music, or any calming music, is a wonderful addition. One of my instructors used this exercise as a way to bring the children together at the start of the day.
- Demonstrate to the children how to walk on the line by having them sit on the line. Show them the slow movement and heel toe foot action.
- Let the children know they can walk on the line whenever they would like to during the day.
- Wait until the child has mastered simply walking on the line before adding any creative variations from the basket.
Thank you for choosing to read this post today. I hope that we inspired you! Please leave comment, as I love to hear from you! Or visit our community on Facebook for some extra goodness!
Join over 16,000 parents & educators receiving a weekly dose of Montessori learning, inspiration, parenting love. I promise not to spam you because I am awesome (and clearly so are YOU).