Are you looking for a fun, engaging way to help introduce your students or children to pre-reading skills? Look no further than Montessori’s look-alike matching language lesson! This foundational lesson will assist in helping younger learners recognize what looks similar and how similar items relate to each other.
By introducing this game into the classroom, homeschool environment, or home setting, not only are important literacy foundations being formed but entire rooms can become silent as they explore the materials provided. Read on to learn more about introducing this exciting exercise into any learning space!
Look-alike matching is a wonderful pre-reading language activity for kids. This lesson comes early in a child’s math learning. The best part is that the work is versatile with loads of variations in images and themes.
The PURPOSE is to work from left to right and top to bottom in preparation for reading & writing.
Look Alike Matching Montessori Lesson
- Invite the child to do the activity. Place the container in the left-hand corner of the rug.
- Select a picture card and place it on the mat. Select another card and placed it next to the first card: “Are these pictures the same?”
- The picture remains if it is the same. If the picture is different, place it next to the first card.
- Exaggerate scanning to see if there is a match.
- Name each picture while placing it in the horizontal row.
- Continue until all matches have been identified.
- When finished, place the cards back into the container and return to the shelf.