Introducing children to geography is extremely rewarding. Land forms offer a concrete way to achieve this introduction. These land form activities are hands on, visual tools to get your child to start thinking critically about LAND FORMS. Both geography activities require kids to work fine motor skills, too, which is always a bonus!
Learning about Land Forms
Activity 1: Lake & Island
Land & Lake Activity
- Four pieces of construction paper (2 brown or green and 2 blue)
- Glue Stick or Glue
- Take your piece of green/brown paper, fold it (doesn't even have to be in half)
- Tear out a circular shape (doesn't have to be an actual circle)
- Glue torn piece of brown/green paper (your “island”) onto the blue paper
- Glue blue paper onto the back side of the brown/green paper & take a look at your “lake”
- On one side you have your lake and on the other side you have your island. (Pretty handy, huh?)
Activity 2: Land Forms
Land Forms Activity
Pardon my labeling above. Typically you would work with the child to label or have separate labels in a slightly neater approach. I did this labeling a bit quickly.
This activity is slightly tricky (at least it was for me) so you may want to use a land forms guide. There are plenty of free Montessori land form cards out there so take a look. Here is a wonderful round up post on Land Forms from Living Montessori Now.
Start tearing your green or brown paper. Take a look at the result. I “tried” to tear bays, capes, etc but honestly, tear away and see if you can identify some land forms from your tear. Glue brown/green onto the blue paper. See if you can identify a straight or a gulf. Work with your child. It'll be fun.
Pretty simple, right? This geography activity is fine, hands on, and will “hook your child” into geography.
Thanks for visiting today. I hope we inspired you.
P.S. Don't miss out on all our amazing Montessori printables available in our Montessori shop!
Join over 20,000 parents & educators receiving a weekly dose of Montessori learning, inspiration, parenting love. I promise not to spam you because I am awesome (and clearly so are YOU).