It’s that time of year again – the leaves are changing color, the days are getting shorter, and pumpkin patches are popping up all over town. What could be more fun than spending a day at the pumpkin patch?
How about exploding pumpkins with rubber bands or making them into a Jack-o-lantern? Keep reading for some exciting pumpkin activities to enjoy with your students this fall.
Are you looking for pumpkin activity ideas for your classroom or home? You have arrived at the right place, my Montessori friend! You will be pleased to know that this post includes loads of Montessori pumpkin activities!
Let me know what you think of these pumpkin activities! I tried to cover most areas of a Montessori early childhood classroom. I would love to hear any thoughts and ideas you have for adding to this pumpkin activities list.
Montessori Pumpkin Activities
Practical Life Activities
- Pumpkin Guts Exploration from Stir the Wonder
- Puffy Pumpkin Lacing from I Can Teach My Child
- Pumpkin Pillow Sewing
- Use a strainer to sift out pumpkin seeds in a sensory tub filled with rice or small beans
- Roast and season pumpkin seeds for a snack (have kids help gut the pumpkin!)
- Hammer tees into pumpkins (maybe the perfect seasonal fine motor work)
- Basic numeration activity by cutting a pumpkin out, rolling dice, and using pumpkin seeds to match the roll
- Replace card counters with pumpkin seeds
- Measure circumference and diameter of various pumpkins
- Grade pumpkins by size
- Lifecycle of a Pumpkin paper plate craft
- Grow a Pumpkin in a Pumpkin from Life with Moore Babies
- Hands-on Learn about Pollination
- Experiment with Pumpkins & Rubber Bands (how many rubber bands will cause the pumpkin to explode?)
- Create Pumpkin Globes like these globes from The Creative Classroom