Some of my fondest memories as a child have to do with reading aloud and creating stories with my family. Modeling a love for reading and writing impacts a child’s love (or hate) for language activities. How do we make reading & writing a fun and engaging family activity?
Well, I have a few ideas for you! These Reading & Writing family time ideas are a fun way for you to be a part of your child’s learning. Literacy should be a family affair, right? Plus it’ll bring you closer, I promise. Here are a few suggestions for making reading & writing fun for all!
11 Ways to Make Reading & Writing a Family Activity
- Make a family comic strip by using this great comic strip printable from the KidsActivitiesBlog.com
- Read a chapter book aloud
- Listen to an audio tape on road trips
- Create new endings to your child’s favorite books
- Create a recipe about each family member, then one about your family (e.g. 1/3 cup silliness, a dash of sassy, etc)
- Write and read poems to your family
- Make up a story together taking turns line by line
- Play the traditional I-Spy but with a twist such as using rhyming words or opposites
- Have your child dictate a story to you. Record his voice and help him write it.
- Create a story together using mostly visuals
- Take a virtual family trip with a book
Have fun with these activities and let me know your ideas!
Get Your Dose of Montessori Goodness
Directly & Seamlessly Delivered to You. Let me do all the work.