Learning art (again and really what feels like the first time) through my Montessori training changed the way I approach and think about art with my children. Art is not about the end result. Art is not about every child creating the exact same project. Art is about the process. Art is about exploration, creativity, and experimentation.
“The truth is that when a free spirit exists, it has to materialize itself in some form of work, and for this the hands are needed. Everywhere we find traces of man’s handiwork, and through these we can catch a glimpse of his spirit…”
~Dr. Maria Montessori
Quick & Easy Art Activity for Preschoolers
Without giving children an opportunity to express themselves creatively whether at an easel in a classroom or on a drawing pad in the middle of the woods, we won’t advance as a society. The cure for cancer has to be “imagined” before it can exist.
I have a long list of art activities but I’ll begin with an easy one and post more later.
Coffee Filter & Water Color Design
Art Activity with Coffee Filters Materials:
- liquid watercolor (I diluted mine even more)
- coffee filters
- bath mat (I purchased the perfected sized circular ones you see in this image by Circo at Target.)
- Place watercolor in the suction cups of the bath math
- Fold the coffee filter and roll it up
- Dip bits of the filter into a variety of colors
- Unfold and let dry
For more preschool art activities:
- All You Need to Know about Beautiful & Easy Montessori Art
- Aline Wolf’s Preschool Art History Child Size Masterpieces Cards
- Montessori Services for wonderful Montessori art materials including books, appreciation, supplies, and activities
Thanks for reading!