The Cards and Counters Lesson is the last lesson within Numeration of Montessori Math. Click this link to view the AMS Montessori Math Lessons Sequence.
Invite the child to do the work. Get a mat and spread it on the floor.
- Name the cards and counters.
- Randomly place numerals out.
- Ask for the child’s help to place the numerals in sequence at the top of the mat and to identify the numerals.
“Now we’re going to put the quantities on the mat.”
- “How many are needed here?” Count counters as you place them in your hand and then below the numeral.
- Continue with the same approach until complete. Comment on the pattern of the odd and even quantities.
- Ask the child to lay out the cards and counters. When finished, point out that some end in pairs and some do not have partners.
- “We call the ones that don’t have a partner odd numbers. Can you point to the odd numbers? We call the ones that end in a pair even numbers. Can you point to the even numbers?”
- Ask the child to separate the odd numbers from the even numbers. Return to the shelf or make a booklet.
- Use other objects in place of the red counters (like the acorn example above)
- Lay counters out in a different pattern under the numerals
- Work with larger quantities
- The child makes own set of cards and counters
- Work with larger quantities & identify odd and even numbers
- Montessori Printshop has a variety of Cards & Counters Printables for download
- Montessori Cards & Counters from Amazon (This set is the one we purchased for our home.)
- The Blue Number Counting Book from Montessori Services
- The Ultimate Guide to Montessori Math
- Montessori Learning to Count Activities
- 50+ Montessori Math Resources & Recommendations