Do you want to make learning about apples with your preschoolers fun and engaging? Look no further – Montessori activities are an effective way to introduce the theme of apples in a creative and meaningful way! From sensory play to math concepts, there is something for every child’s individual learning style.
In this blog post, we’ll explore various Montessori apple activities that will bring delight into any homeschool or classroom environment for young learners. A great addition to a fall preschool unit.
Preschool Apple Theme Activities
- Tonging Apples – Great for fine motor skill development and pre-reading skill. Demonstrate by identifying the items on the tray, move slowly transferring the small wooden apples from left to right and speak with a few words. Once the child masters the activity, integrate pre-math by counting the apples.
- Washing Apples
- Slicing, Peeling, Coring Apples
- Make Apple Sauce with these Crockpot Applesauce Making Cards from Training Happy Hearts
- Apple Lacing Card from No Time for Flashcards
- Apple Taste Test
- Leaf Shape & Sort
- Apple Peeling – Present an apple, a peeler, and a cutting board. Demonstrate using an economy of words with your child.
- Apple Sensory Cards from Stir the Wonder
- Apple Taste Test like this one from What Do We Do All Day?
- Apple Core Puzzle from J Daniel 4s Mom
- Apple Pin Poke
- Parts of an Apple from The Helpful Garden
- Types of Apples 3 Part Cards
- Apple Word Family material from Scholastic
- Apple Adjectives Activity
- Graphing with a chart and die, or graph an Apple Taste Test
- Tree Addition using this template from Life Over C’s
- Pattern Cards using a free template from Spell Outloud
- Apple Tree Counting like this felt tree from Spell Outloud
- Graph an apple tree’s growth
- Make Apple Prints
Although I was at first disappointed that the apples I had bought from the grocery were not in great shape for eating, my mind immediately went to “what can I do with these apples with the boys?”
So we sliced them open and took a look at the Parts of the Apple: the skin, the flesh, the core, the seeds, and the stem. Then, well, we made art! Personally, I prefer apple activities over skeleton activities but who is counting?
Apple Activity for Preschoolers
- Brush (or not)
- Bowls for paint
Apple Printing Approach:
I set out a tray with bowls of paint. The bowls were wide enough so that the boys could dip the apple into the paint. I also included a paint brush so the boys could paint the apples if they desired that approach.
More Apple Themed Activities
- Apple Seed Mosaic
- Apple Tree from I Heart Crafty Things
- Paper Plate Apple Core from Fun Family Crafts
- Apple Tissue Paper Suncatcher
- Fingerprint Apple Tree
- Scented Apple Playdough
- Track the time it takes for an apple tree to grow and to harvest apples using a piece of string
- Where do Apples grow? Why? Discuss states like Washington. Mark a map with the apple grown in that state.
- Study of animals known to enjoy apples such as worms, caterpillars, and horses
- Investigate: An apple a day keeps the doctor away?
- Life Cycle of an Apple Nomenclature Cards