The Montessori lifestyle? Montessori parenting? Yes. That is right. Montessori is a way of life. So, what do parents need to know about the Montessori lifestyle? Maria Montessori wrote extensively about the relationship between parent and child. She also wrote about the role of parents in a Montessori environment. The parental role is critical in the success a child has within a Montessori environment.
“The greatness of the human personality begins at the hour of birth.” ~ Dr. Montessori
I often hear from Montessori teachers about the disconnect between parents and teachers within a Montessori environment. The issue is not that parents don't want to learn, but more an issue of not knowing how or where to learn about Montessori. Where can parents easily education themselves on the basics of the Montessori philosophy? Where can parents learn that they must need to embrace Montessori as a lifestyle and not simple an educational philosophy that begins and ends at the classroom doors?
What Parents Need to Know about the Montessori Lifestyle
- Montessori starts way before an early childhood classroom.
- Respecting the child is at the core of the philosophy. Positive discipline is at the heart of it.
- “Teach Me to Do It Myself” trumps doing something a capable child can do for himself. Here are a few Montessori at Home ideas.
- Intervening is your last resort
- Child are capable of communicating
- Books for Montessori Parents
- Montessori at Home Tips
- Combine learning & movement as much as possible
- Connecting the indoor and outdoor classrooms is a ket aspect to learning.
- Peace education is at the center of the Montessori philosophy
“It is in the encounter of the maternal guiding instincts with the sensitive periods of the newly born that conscious love develops between parent and child.” ~ Dr. Montessori
Related Read: What Is Montessori Parenting?
The best thing you can do for your Montessori child is to embrace the Montessori lifestyle in your home and in your parenting. Check out my Montessori at Home guide. Don't forget to subscribe to our weekly newsletter!