We love gardening activities! My oldest son and I planted our first seeds last night. Planting seeds with kids is fun and arguably a bit challenging depending on the age and, well, how can I put this nicely…
…the amount of – ah-hem – self regulation exhibited by the child. My son is almost 7. We’ve been planting seeds for five years now but this year is the first experience I’ve had with him where he took a step back, thought about what he was doing, and methodically planted seeds.
Don’t get me wrong, we’ve had remarkable success with my boys simply tossing a packet of seeds out to sprout! Not only is growing plants exciting but learning is worked into the experience without really having to let the kids know! That includes the planning part! (By the way check out our super cute Garden Planner for Kids!)
Planting Seeds with Kids
We planted the seeds indoors to get them growing before the last frost. Temperatures need to be about 40-50 degrees overnight for even “hardy” plants to survive. Believe it or not there are super hardy plants that can withstand 25 degrees. We’re playing it safe, though.
My son truly (and adorably) enjoys getting his hands dirty. What fun to be on this journey together! We’re both concerned with losing track of which seeds we planted where. So, today I researched cool ways to create garden markers with my kids. I have a few ideas up my sleeve but in the meantime I wanted to share with you some of the amazing ideas I curated over the past few hours. I can’t resist sharing the gardening goodness! Please click through to the original source to gather more details on the creative ideas!
12 Rock Star Garden Markers Ideas
- Rainbow Garden Markers from Living Well Spending Less
- Alphabet Bead Markers from Meaningful Mama
- Twig Markers from Martha Stewart
- Adorable Rock Markers from Crafts by Amanda
- Can Lid Garden Markers from Creative Green Living
- Garden Marker Spoons from Turning the Clock Back
- Letter Tile Garden Markers from The Farm Girl Gabs
- Dinosaur Garden Markers from Totally the Bomb
- Wine Cork Markers from Morning Dove Cottage
- Brick Garden Markers from Flower Patch Farmhouse
- Perler Bead Garden Markers from Made By Claire Louise’s easy shop
- Clothespin Sticks from Home Talk
If you aren’t involving your kids in the garden marker making process, the abundant creative ideas astounds me! My creative juices are flowing!