The Montessori Number Rods & Numerals lesson is part of Introduction to Numeration section within Math. This lesson comes after the Number Rods and Sandpaper Numerals lessons.
Invite the child to do the work. Get a mat and spread it on the floor.
Number Rods & Numerals Lesson
- With the child’s help, carry the rods, one at a time, to the mat.
- Place them in mixed array. Have the child construct the stair, leaving room at the bottom of the mat.
- Take out the numerals. Arrange in mixed order at the bottom of the mat.
- Review the symbol names with the child and introduce the ten
- “Now let’s put the numerals with the rods that have the same quantity.”
- Count the one rod: “One. Which numeral do we need here?”
- The child locates the one numerals, hands it to me and I place it standing up leaning again the one rod. Count the two rod.
- Proceed in a similar manner.
- Allow the child to take over as much as he wishes to do so. If there is a problem, simply ask if I can have a turn.
- When all the numerals are in place, read them and then ask the child to read them.
- Turn the numerals over and play “Knock, Knock”. The child identifies the numerals and places it leaning up against the correct rod
- The child places the rods in random order on a mat and the numerals are upside down in random order on a second mat
- Knock on the back of the numeral. The child identifies it and places it on the correct rod. Repeat the same approach through ten.
Math Extension & Variations
- Fetch game
- Randomly array rods on mat. Ask the child to find the longest rod. Count the segments. Find the numeral that goes with it.
- Ask the child to find the next longest rod and the numeral that goes with it. Ask the child which rod could we place with the 9 rod to give us 10. And so on.
- Mystery number with two children. One child gets secret numeral, counts objects to match the numeral. The other child counts the objects and finds the rod to match the secret numeral.
- See examples from Number Rods lesson
Related: You might also be interested in What is the Spindle Box?