You have a budding, brilliant reader. She is eager to learn. She wants more. You don't have more. That is where I come in…This Consonant Digraph Activity: Blends work is one of my three original Language works I created for my Montessori training.
To create the cards, I used blue cardstock (blue level work), my printer, image files, blend files, a paper cutter and a laminator. I also have a small plastic bag to hold the small digraph cards. My files are included at the end of this post. I ask you to please use them only for personal purposes.
Related Read: Must Have Materials to Teach Montessori Geography
Consonant Digraph Activity: Blends
A card with nine images representing three different blend sounds. Small digraphs cards. A basket or tray.
To increase awareness and skill in reading and writing Blue Level Digraph words.
Knowledge of previous digraph materials and short vowel word building
- Invite the child to do the work: “I am going to show you something new with blend sounds!”
- Bring the basket or tray with the materials to the work rug.
- Remove one card and you or the child name the images on the card: “bread. crayon. creek….”
- Remove the digraph cards from the small bag and review the blended sounds with the child: /br/
- Slowly scan the card of images until you find a match. Repeat the name of the image with emphasis on the blended sound and place the digraph card onto the image of “bread”, for example, repeating the digraph /br/.
- Remove each card from the bag and repeat the same procedure. Allow the child to take over at any point.
- If the child has incorrectly collected an object not matching the sound on the card, review the image name and digraph.
- If the child would like to continue with another card, show him the next card.
- Ask the child to place the cards back onto the tray or into the basket. Return to the shelf.
Related Read: Best Montessori Activities for 2-Year-Olds
- With a partner
- Trace digraphs
- Build words with moveable alphabet
- Write words of images
- Create a design with a metal inset and write the digraph in the center
- With a partner, play Bingo. Roll a DIY die with blends on each side and place the small digraph cards.
POINTS OF INTEREST
- New vocabulary and sounds
CONTROL OF ERROR
The number of small digraphs cards match the number of images on the card
Names of images, 3-period lesson for any image/sound the child incorrectly identifies, digraphs
4.5-6 years old
Order, concentration, independence, confidence, matching, analysis of sounds, build vocabulary, reading, writing and spelling digraphs
Resources that Helped Me Do This Activity
Join over 20,000 parents & educators receiving a weekly dose of Montessori learning, inspiration, parenting love. I promise not to spam you because I am awesome (and clearly so are YOU).