Who doesn't LOVE pumpkin carving?? I look forward to it every year and every year I am in search of the coolest jack-o-lantern designs to make with my boys.
Fun Facts about Pumpkin Carving
Before diving into these amazing ideas, I thought it would be fun to let you in on a bit of jack-o-lantern history. There is great folklore around jack-o-lanterns. I encourage you to research the stories! In the meantime, here are a few fun facts about jack-o-lanterns:
- Originated in Ireland
- First used turnips and potatoes rather than pumpkins
- The name “jack-o-lantern” came the 17th century and referred to a man carrying a lantern or to a night watchman.
- The tradition came to the United States with Irish immigrants in the 19th century
- Were known to ward off evil spirits
Related Read: Montessori Halloween Activities
Jack-O-Lantern Designs for Kids
For some kids ‘carving' a pumpkin is just too difficult, especially for our littlest ones! That's why I love this one! Making a hedgehog is the perfect jack-o-lantern activity for toddlers and preschoolers!
Creative pumpkin ideas are so fun to browse through! I loved this pumpkin with braces! A few sequins and a sparkly string are all it takes to make a pumpkin with braces!
For you itty bitty's- here is the cutest idea to make a jack-o-lantern that welcomes your newborn into the world! I've also seen pictures of newborns inside a carved pumpkin, so if you get a big enough pumpkin you can start with some adorable photos! :)
Frosty has a carrot nose, so why not do the same for a pumpkin?! I thought these carrots made the perfect witch nose! They would be such a cute decoration on your front porch!
This jack-o-lantern is so pretty! And such a perfect way to introduce a lesson on astronomy!
I love this! Take the carrot nose pumpkin from above, add some limbs and you have the cutest pumpkin on the block!
How very Montessori is this adorable time telling pumpkin?!
I thought this was way too perfect! This is probably one of the most adorable pumpkins I have seen!
More Halloween Posts:
- 10 Surefire Halloween Montessori Activities
- Animal Science- Study of Spiders and Exploring Webs
- Super Awesome Skeleton Activities for Preschoolers
- Easy Halloween Fine Motor Activity
- Halloween Sensory Tub
- Halloween Sensory Bottle
- October Printables Pack
Tools to Help You Carve & Design Your Jack-O-Lantern