Okay, it’s official. I am not only obsessed with Montessori geography but I am also obsessed with rocks and minerals. This post highlights a fun preschool geography matching activity with rocks and landmarks. In Montessori, geography includes physical (like learning about landforms) and culture. This activity falls into both areas within geography.
Montessori-Inspired Geography Rock Activity for Rocks
The Montessori-inspired activity is simple: Matching a landmark to the rock with which it was constructed.
Materials – Preschool Geography Rock Activity
- Rocks/Landmark Matching Cards
- Safari World Landmarks TOOB
- Safari Around The World TOOB
- Rand Mcnally Landmarks Flashcards (optional since you have the free printable but are a great resource)
- Types of Rocks Downloadable Printable from Montessori Printshop (you will have to print, cut, & laminate)
- Globe (optional but a great add-on to the activity)
- Laminator (optional)
Approach – Preschool Geography Rock Activity
- Invite your child to do the activity
- Review parts of the earth & types of rocks
- Review landmarks via cards and/or mini replicas
- Invite the child to match the mini replica and the image
- Ask questions & explain the background on the landmarks (e.g. how were these structures built)
- With the child, match the structure with the type of rock from which it was made
- Bring out a globe and locate the area in which these landmarks are found, speaking specifically about what type of rock is found where and why
- Encourage the child to do the activity on his own
Saturday 18th of March 2023
I'd love to use this resource but when I click on the link the page says it can't be found.