Sewing a wonderful early learning activity for children. We recently used felt, yarn, and cotton balls to create a pumpkin. The great part about this activity is that you can adjust it to the age of the child with the type of needle, the type of thread, and how much the child owns the process. Here is how we did our Fall Montessori Activities – Pumpkin Activity for Preschoolers.
Fall Montessori Pumpkin Sewing Activity for Preschoolers
- Orange felt, fabric, card stock, or construction paper
- Large Needle
- Paper Hold Punch (if completed with a younger child)
- Yarn or String (depending on the younger child)
- Cotton or Paper for stuffing
- Trace a pumpkin shape onto the orange felt, card stock, or construction paper
- You or the child cut out the pumpkin shape
- If using a blunt large needle, you won't be able to poke through the felt. I punched holes into the felt with a paper hole punch. So, for my 3.5-year-old, the exercise became more of a lacing activity. If you have an older child, you can use a standard needle and thread. You can also play with materials, using thinner felt pieces or cloth.
- Demonstrate how to proceed by “sewing” with the yarn or string the two pumpkins together. We went around the pumpkin twice.
- Leave a hole at the “stem” to stuff with cotton or paper
- Color the stem or glue a brown/green piece of felt, paper, or fabric to create the look of the stem
- Gently stuff the pumpkin
- You can either glue the pumpkin shut at the stem, “sew”, or staple it closed
Other Fun Pumpkin Activities
- Parts of the pumpkin
- Explore the guts of a pumpkin
- Bake pumpkin seeds
- Pumpkin seed sensory bag
- Pumpkin Playdough and Slime
Related Resource: Montessori Fall Activities Pack – Pumpkin Theme
Before you go, check out this DIY Heart Felt Pillows Sewing Activity for Kids!