Observing kids sewing has to be one of the coolest experiences as a teacher or a parent. Watching their fingers work those fine motor skills while they actually create something right before their eyes. Sewing is a favorite work of mine in the Montessori classroom. This Valentine Practical Life activity is perfect for February shelves. I hope you enjoy it.
This is just one of many DIY friendly Montessori Activities! Montessori is very DIY friendly due to the nature of being so simple and making something amazing out of the basics.
So simple! This Montessori activity is perfect for the month of February Practical Life shelves.
Montessori Valentine Practical Life Activity
Here is how I made my heart felt freshen up pillows!Sewing Materials
- half a piece red felt
- sewing needle (TIP: I used a fairly blunt needle and had to really push it through the felt. So, I recommend using a sharper needle or punching holes prior to the child doing the work to assist in the sewing activity.)
- cotton balls
- essential oil
- yarn (of course you can use string, too)
- Fold the piece of felt in half
- Cut out a heart shape
- Thread the needle
- Tie and anchor knot
- Sew 3/4 way around the heart
- Place five to ten drops of essential oil onto the cotton balls
- Stuff the cotton balls into the heart
- Continue sewing up the heart
I have just three things to teach: simplicity, patience, compassion. These three are your greatest treasures. ~ Lao Tzu
This valentine practical life activity is perfect for a parent gift. Place these lovely smelling mini heart pillows in a drawer, hanging in your car, in your car vent, or in your glove compartment.
If you need additional ideas for your February shelves, check out these posts:
- Short Vowel Word Valentine Bingo
- Preschool Heart Math & Fine Motor Activity
- Montessori Valentine Shelf Ideas
- Rose Crafts and Activities