Observing kids sewing has to be one of the coolest experiences as a teacher or a parent. Watching their fingers work those fine motor skills while they actually create something right before their eyes. Sewing is a favorite work of mine in the Montessori classroom. This Valentine Practical Life activity is perfect for February shelves. I hope you enjoy it.
So simple! This Montessori activity is perfect for the month of February Practical Life shelves.
Montessori Valentine Practical Life Activity
- half a piece red felt
- sewing needle (TIP: I used a fairly blunt needle and had to really push it through the felt. So, I recommend using a sharper needle or punching holes prior to the child doing the work to assist in the sewing activity.)
- cotton balls
- essential oil
- yarn (of course you can use string, too)
- Fold the piece of felt in half
- Cut out a heart shape
- Thread the needle
- Tie and anchor knot
- Sew 3/4 way around the heart
- Place five to ten drops of essential oil onto the cotton balls
- Stuff the cotton balls into the heart
- Continue sewing up the heart
I have just three things to teach: simplicity, patience, compassion. These three are your greatest treasures. ~ Lao Tzu
This valentine practical life activity is perfect for a parent gift. Place these lovely smelling mini heart pillows in a drawer, hanging in your car, in your car vent, or in your glove compartment.
If you need additional ideas for your February shelves, check out these posts:
- Short Vowel Word Valentine Bingo
- Preschool Heart Math & Fine Motor Activity
- Montessori Valentine Shelf Ideas
- Rose Crafts and Activities