Card Sewing is a wonderful sequence within the Montessori Early Childhood classroom.
Invite child, have child retrieve rug, and then take the basket to the rug for the sewing activities.
Montessori Practical Life: Card Sewing Activities
Identify & remove materials from the basket: “Scissors. Sewing Card. Yarn. Needle.”
Have child measure yarn using edge of the rug. Cut yarn.
Thread the needle slowly and carefully. Make sure the child is watching closely. Let the child know that he may ask for help if he needs it on this step.
- Pick up the card.
- Ask the child which hole he thinks we should start sewing.
- Thread the needle through the hole, make sure child is watching closely.
- Tie a knot.
- Turn the card over and finish pulling the yarn through the hole.
- Indicate to the child that you are on the side where the yarn comes though the card.
- Continue sewing the card.
- Tie the two tails.
- Trim yarn.
- Cut needle off yarn.
- Take scraps to garbage or scraps basket.
- Replace needle into the holder.
- Ask the child: “Would you like a turn?”
If you’re looking for materials for your home or classroom, Montessori Services offers great card sewing and lacing works for purchase at a reasonable price.