We love Earth Day activities! Combine Earth Day with cool melted crayon art & science, count us in. The Montessori art sequence is not a sequence per se but an amazing series of process art projects that inspire Montessori kids and their teachers!
I included a video at the end of this post going over my Montessori art album with you. I hope you find it useful in your Montessori journey!
Crayon Activity for Preschoolers
Earth Day Melted Crayon Art Materials
- large/thick crayons with earth tones
- white card stock
- green card stock
- parchment paper
- iron or hairdryer
Earth Day Art Approach
- Plug in the iron or blow dryer
- Set out the white card stock
- Place the grater on top
- Grab that old box of Crayola crayons & Peel the labels from the crayons
- Grate the Crayola crayons
- Shake/bang out the crayon shavings stuck to the grater
- You can melt the crayons in a few different ways. I like using a hot plate or iron but a blow dryer works really well. The hot air adds a layer of amazingness to the project.
- I placed parchment paper over the shavings & ran the iron gently over one time
- You can also hover the iron over the shavings to radiate heat that causes the crayons to drip down the canvas
- You can also place the card stock on a ‘hot plate’ or stone. I heat an old piece of tile up and place the card stock into of the hot tile (which is in a pan).
- Lots of options for a base including melting crayons onto a canvas
- Drying time is quick as a wink
- Cut a circular shape from the white card stock with your design
- Glue onto a piece of green card stock
- Display the beautiful piece of art work
Earth Day Learning Ideas
- Read one of these Earth Day books before beginning the project
- Talk about how the colors make you feel as you watch them melt
- Observe the mixing of colors
- Discuss the reason why the crayons melt and the chemistry behind it
- Print out this Earth Day Journal page to prompt thinking about our impact on the environment
I hope you enjoyed this post! Don’t miss out on my Weekly eNewsletter for loads of printables, learning, and parenting fun!
* Please use adult supervision when doing this activity! Thank you!
Curious about the Montessori Art Curriculum? Check out the video below!
Get Your Dose of Montessori Goodness
Directly & Seamlessly Delivered to You. Let me do all the work.