With the coming of spring, we've been discussing botany for a few months now. This leaf activity is a perfect segue and compliment to botany lessons. The activity integrates physical science, movement and fresh air. Lovely combination, right?
Leaf Pounding Physical Science Activity
Materials Needed for Physical Science Activity
- 2 wooden blocks
- 2 rubber bands
- 1 piece of fabric
- Magnifying Glass
Approach for Physical Science Activity
- Gather the children
- Ask them to find a partner and collect the materials needed for the activity
- Go outside
- Ask the children to gather a leaf or two
- Demonstrate how to set up the leaf on the block with the elastic bands (you may have to help out the children)
- Pound away
- Examine outside the fabric, then peel off to examine the other side
Tips for Physical Science Activity
- Integrate language like hard, soft, slow, fast, pressure, light, surface area
- Ask questions using these words: “what do you observe when you use the base of the block? What about trying the corner edge?”
- You'll find the children will begin to explore other approaches to test how their method may work compared to another
- Gather the group back together again and bring in botany by identifying the parts of the plant
- Encourage the children to display their leaves. They do make beautiful art pieces!
Thank you for choosing to read this post today!