I am really excited to share our Sea Turtle mini unit. Sea Turtles are amazing reptilian creatures.
Sea Turtle Quick Facts
- Have existed for over 150 million years
- Were once bigger than a car, over time sea turtles have become smaller (now 2-6 feet long and 75-2000 pounds)
- There are seven species of sea turtles
- Sea turtles travel thousands of miles every year
- They are endangered
- They cannot pull their head and legs into the shell
- They only come on land to lay eggs.
- Only one hatchling in a thousand make it to adulthood (15-25 yrs) They can live to be over 100 yrs old.
- Hatchlings will return to the same beach where they were born to nest if they make it to adulthood.
- A female deposits 50 to 200 (depending on the species) Ping Pong ball shaped-eggs into the egg cavity.
- The only ocean sea turtles don't live in is the Arctic Ocean
Sea Turtle Mini Unit for Preschoolers
Arts & Crafts
- Coloring Pages – I taped this sea turtle coloring page on our dining table ready for the boys to discover to start their minds going on sea turtles. There are several other great Sea Turtle coloring pages available on the Sea Turtle Conservancy's website.
- Connect the Dots – My 3 year old has been really into connecting the dots lately. So I found this great sea turtle connect the dot from the Sea Turtle Conservancy for him.
- Crafts – We're planning in this activities this coming week: Origami Sea Turtle, Bottle Cap Sea Turtle and an egg carton Sea Turtle. Here are some amazing and easy sea turtle activities from the Kid Blogger Network that are a must see: Maize Noodle Sea Turtle, Dot Art Turtle, Sticky Turtle, In the Yarn Sea Turtle Craft, Button Sea Turtle, T is for Turtle crafts, and Paper Plate Turtle and Turtle snack.
Life cycle – We purchased these wonderful Safari Sea Turtle Life Cycle replicas and used this Sea Turtle Life Cycle document. We also watched a You Tube video of a hatching making its way into the world.
Map – We took a look at where Sea Turtles live and nest like Australia and Hawaii. Then we took a look at this very cool Sea Turtle resource that allows us to track various sea turtles.
Books – here are a few of our favorites:
Have fun and thanks for stopping by!