This post include a lesson on Montessori Math Number Rod Addition. Montessori Small Number Rods are a favorite of preschoolers because the material is familiar and they get to do something different with it. This lesson comes at the end of a child’s Early Childhood Montessori life. The Montessori Math Lesson with the Number Rods is within the area of “Math Facts” or “Memorization”.
[Tweet “Montessori Math Number Rod Addition”]
Invite child to do something new with the number rods.
Montessori Math Number Rod Addition
Ask him to spread a mat and build the stair with the number rods.
Separate the ten rod from the others: “Do you remember what this is? Yes, it is ten. Let’s see if there are other ways to make ten.”
Take the nine rod and place it against the ten rod: “What do we need to make this rod ten?” Allow the child the time to discover the answer.
Place the one rod in position and note that 9 + 1 = 10.
Have the child write this answer in his equation booklet.
See if the child can find a way to make ten with the eight rod.
- Continue in this manner until he has discovered all possible ways of making ten.
- Next, ask the child explore to find all the ways of making 9. Get him started if necessary by placing the eight rod against the 9 rod and asking what he needs to make it nine.
- Over time give the child challenge cards that request he make combinations of eight, seven, six, five and so on. Make sure he records his work in a “Ways of making…” booklet.
Related Resource: Check out this AMAZING Preschool Math Bundle!
Related Montessori Math Lessons:
- Learn the Montessori Sensorial Binomial Cube Lesson
- Montessori’s Trinomial Cube Introduces Preschoolers to Math
- Montessori Lesson: Learn about Golden Beads
- Montessori Math Number Rod Addition
- 80 + Easy & Engaging Every Day Montessori Math Extensions
- How Montessori Teaches Math – Ten Board Lesson
- How to Use the Montessori Small Bead Frame for Math
- 50+ Montessori Math Resources & Recommendations
- Learn Montessori’s Snake Math Game